Located in Freehold, New Jersey, Applewood is one of four available nursing homes in this area. Sporting an overall grade of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the most elite facilities we found. We flat out can not say enough good things about this nursing home. Scroll down to find this facility's category grades, which are also impressive. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Freehold senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Freehold, New Jersey Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Freehold, New Jersey Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Freehold, New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an A+ for its long-term care grade. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Applewood ?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place New Jersey in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, this facility was given an excellent short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that category, topping off one of our finer report cards. In computing our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is generally a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Applewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Applewood , 2.7% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Applewood , 5.61% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Applewood , 5.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents which have experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Applewood , 11.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Applewood , 4.12% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Applewood , 19.39% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Applewood , 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Applewood , 17.71% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Applewood , 19.08% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Applewood , 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Applewood , 19.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Applewood , 3.52% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Applewood , 82.36% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Freehold, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Freehold, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Monmouth Medical Center-Southern CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away600 River Ave Lakewood New Jersey 08701Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 363-1900
- Ocean Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away425 Jack Martin Blvd Brick New Jersey 08724Voluntary non-profit - Other(732) 840-2200
- Monmouth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.54 miles away300 Second Avenue Long Branch New Jersey 07740Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 222-5200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 18.86 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.04 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Dci Freehold0.78 miles away901 West Main St Suite 202 Freehold New Jersey 07728CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 677-5200
- Davita Freehold Dialysis3.39 miles away300 Craig Road Century Office Park Englishtown New Jersey 07726CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 303-1589
- Davita Jackson Township Dialysis7.76 miles away260 North County Line Road Suite 120 Jackson New Jersey 08527Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 364-2055
- Davita Renal Ctr Monroe8.2 miles away300 Overlook Drive Bldg C Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 642-8124
- Monroe Township Dialysis9.36 miles away298 Applegarth Rd Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 10 (609) 409-4259
- Dci Monroe9.49 miles away2 Research Way Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 12 (609) 356-7200
- Wall Township Home Training10.28 miles away5100 Belmar Blvd Ste 1 Farmingdale New Jersey 07727Dialysis Stations: 6 (732) 938-2780
- Fmc Madison Dialysis at Matawan11.97 miles away625 Highway 34 Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 9 (732) 566-0471