Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center is one of 27 nursing homes located in Saint Petersburg, Florida. The city has far more options compared to most areas in the country. This facility was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. This place seems to have some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's profile is is its long-term care rating. We discuss long-term care in the next section.
Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care score outpaced its overall score. In fact, we gave it a B for its long-term care score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.78542 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Nursing scores are mostly tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility received somewhat favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them a decent score in that area, with a grade of C. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This means inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive category is short-term care, which is the last area we looked at. For this category, we awarded this facility a D. Short-term care grades are vital for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this nursing home provides significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apollo Health and Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.88 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 1.9 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 1.91 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.2 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- St Petersburg Dialysis1.09 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg South Dialysis1.29 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- St Petersburg Kidney Care1.54 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg1.55 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- H Street North - St Petersburg1.67 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis1.83 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg2.2 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South3.63 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279