With an address in West Chicago, Illinois, Aperion Care West Chicago is one of just a few available nursing homes in this city. We gave this facility a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we assessed. Based on our assessment, this nursing home probably isn't a good fit for anyone. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Aperion Care West Chicago
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Aperion Care West Chicago has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this facility a grade of C for our long-term care grade, which is not a bad grade. In determining our long-term care grades, we size up the personal care received by a facility's residents. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 79.18216 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care West Chicago?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. The nursing rating includes many factors, however, the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was short-term care, in which this nursing home was given an abysmal grade in this area also. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is obviously somewhat alarming. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its abysmal grade in this category, we weren't stunned to learn this place offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care West Chicago Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 30.45% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 87.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 7.07 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Fmc - West Chicago Dialysis Center0.47 miles away1859 Neltnor Blvd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 293-5952
- Fmc - Dupage West3.78 miles away450 E Roosevelt Rd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 16 (630) 293-6356
- Davita - Geneva Crossings5.69 miles away546 S Schmale Road Carol Stream Illinois 60188Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 260-4086
- Tri Cities Dialysis LLC6.84 miles away306 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 262-1306
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis7.17 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Fmc - Glendale Heights Dialysis Center7.19 miles away130 E. Army Trail Road Glendale Heights Illinois 60139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (630) 924-7286
- Fkc - Elgin7.46 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Usrc - Villa Park Dialysis7.81 miles away200 E. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 530-5237