With an address in West Chicago, Illinois, Aperion Care West Chicago is one of just a few available nursing homes in this city. We gave this facility a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we assessed. Based on our assessment, this nursing home probably isn't a good fit for anyone. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Aperion Care West Chicago
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Aperion Care West Chicago has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in this category. Sadly, this ended up being its second best grade. Nursing homes that don't score well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. One of the datapoints we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 80.09828 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care West Chicago?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is short-term care. This nursing home's received an unfortunate short-term care score where it was given a lowly F. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we found that this nursing home offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home really did not perform well in this area either. Due to a poor grade of F in nursing, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. We weighed the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our score in this area. This facility provided just 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care West Chicago Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 29.8% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 87.49% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility.
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care West Chicago, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 7.07 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Fmc - West Chicago Dialysis Center0.47 miles away1859 Neltnor Blvd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 293-5952
- Fmc - Dupage West3.78 miles away450 E Roosevelt Rd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 16 (630) 293-6356
- Davita - Geneva Crossings5.69 miles away546 S Schmale Road Carol Stream Illinois 60188Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 260-4086
- Tri Cities Dialysis LLC6.84 miles away306 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 262-1306
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis7.17 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Fmc - Glendale Heights Dialysis Center7.19 miles away130 E. Army Trail Road Glendale Heights Illinois 60139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (630) 924-7286
- Fkc - Elgin7.46 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Usrc - Villa Park Dialysis7.81 miles away200 E. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 530-5237