Aperion Care Tolleston Park is located in Gary, Indiana. This city has 85,171 people. This facility received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Gary. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home did not receive any favorable grades. In particular, we gave it an F in the category of long-term care. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 72.11268 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is quite a bit lower than the national average. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
We wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its inspection grade. An F in this category is particularly troublesome because it typically points to major red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a nursing home has this poor of an inspection rating, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, we need to point out that this nursing home received large government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This generally suggests that a nursing home'sbad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Tolleston Park?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This statistic is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a rock bottom score. Short-term care grades are typically used to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. With a score of this caliber in this area, we were not stunned to discover that this facility was below average in many staffing areas we focus on. The facility supplied significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 12.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 91.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- The Dialysis Center of Gary LLC0.46 miles away1705 W. 25th Ave, Suite 101 Gary Indiana 46404Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 944-0749
- Fmc - Gary Dialysis1.16 miles away3290 Grant Street Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 980-2860
- Davita - Gary3.46 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Griffith4.17 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center4.95 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Davita - East Chicago5.95 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center6.02 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Fmc - Hobart6.54 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289