Aperion Care Tolleston Park is a large nursing home located in Gary, Indiana. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. Unfortunately, the city grade for Gary is not too much better. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2350 Taft St,
Gary IN 46404
69.27% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home did not receive any favorable grades. In particular, we gave it an F in the category of long-term care. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care may not provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit concerned this nursing home administered the vaccine to just 79.6875 percent of its residents. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. We found that this facility fared poorly with 2.77 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, this statistic is nearly double the national average.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For nursing homes with poor inspection ratings, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we also need to point out that this place was assessed large government fines recently of more than $50,000. This typically suggests that CMS inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of failed health inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Tolleston Park?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home offered just 2.6 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is short-term care, in which this facility was given a bottom of the barrel grade here as well. We gave it a lowly F for this category, which is obviously a major disappointment. Short-term care grades are typically used to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 38 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 12.55% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 91.52% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 16.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 17.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 17.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 11.18 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 73.66% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- The Dialysis Center of Gary LLC0.46 miles away1705 W. 25th Ave, Suite 101 Gary Indiana 46404Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 944-0749
- Fmc - Gary Dialysis1.16 miles away3290 Grant Street Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 980-2860
- Davita - Gary3.46 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Griffith4.17 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center4.95 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Davita - East Chicago5.95 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center6.02 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Fmc - Hobart6.54 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289