Aperion Care Tolleston Park is located in Gary, Indiana. This city has 85,171 people. This facility received an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Gary. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Gary senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home did not receive any respectable grades. Its most concerning score may be its inspection rating, where we gave it an F. When a facility has this poor of an inspection rating, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility had 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this place received significant government fines amounting to over $100,000. This generally indicates that a poor performance spanned multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its long-term care score. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. As it turns out, this nursing home provided the vaccine to just 78.9011 percent of its patients, which is quite a bit lower than we expected. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Tolleston Park?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this nursing home really didn't fare well in this category either. With an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is more often than not a solid assessment of the facility's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Tolleston Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that have had a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 14.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 91.03% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Tolleston Park, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- The Dialysis Center of Gary LLC0.46 miles away1705 W. 25th Ave, Suite 101 Gary Indiana 46404Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 944-0749
- Fmc - Gary Dialysis1.16 miles away3290 Grant Street Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 980-2860
- Davita - Gary3.46 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Griffith4.17 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center4.95 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Davita - East Chicago5.95 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center6.02 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Fmc - Hobart6.54 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289