Aperion Care Highwood is a senior living facility located in Highwood, Illinois, a city with 5,431 people. This nursing home was given a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a well below average rating. Based on our ratings, this nursing home may not be the best fit for most people. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aperion Care Highwood
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Highwood senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care score ended up being one of its more favorable grades. The nursing home was given a grade of C in this area. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Highwood?
We were stunned to find that this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it an D for that category, which is one of our best scores. Nursing scores are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care, in which this nursing home received a bottom of the barrel score here also. We gave it a lowly F for this area, which is obviously somewhat alarming. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated 80.54711 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is several points less than the national average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Highwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Highwood, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Highwood, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Highwood, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Highwood, 31.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Highwood, 87.05% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Highwood, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Highwood, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Aperion Care Highwood, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Highwood, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Highwood, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Highwood, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Fmc - Highland1.06 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center3.41 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fkc - Lake Bluff6.22 miles away101 Waukegan Road, Suite 700 Lake Bluff Illinois 60044CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 735-0870
- Glen Dialysis6.89 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc7.2 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Mundelein9.02 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center9.23 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis9.69 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400