Aperion Care Highwood is a senior living facility located in Highwood, Illinois, a city with 5,431 people. This nursing home was given a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a well below average rating. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Highwood. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection reports. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Aperion Care Highwood
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this place's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of C. When determining a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are seeing patients as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This facility averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is not an impressive total. Lastly, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Highwood?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home just a D for our short-term care grade. This is well below average in this category. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This score is more often than not a reliable assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Based on its score in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care. We gave it an F in this area, which is a poor grade. Nursing homes that don't score well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 91.60839 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Highwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Highwood, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Highwood, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Highwood, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Highwood, 29.8% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Highwood, 87.49% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Highwood, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Highwood, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Aperion Care Highwood, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Highwood, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Highwood, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Highwood, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Fmc - Highland1.06 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center3.41 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fkc - Lake Bluff6.22 miles away101 Waukegan Road, Suite 700 Lake Bluff Illinois 60044CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 735-0870
- Glen Dialysis6.89 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc7.2 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Mundelein9.02 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center9.23 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis9.69 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400