Aperion Care Highwood is a senior living facility located in Highwood, Illinois, a city with 5,431 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Highwood. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Aperion Care Highwood
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this place incredibly poorly overall, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable grades in that area with a B+. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with too many deficiencies flagged. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we gave this nursing home a grade of C for its short-term care rating, which really isn't too bad of a score. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The critical question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Highwood?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Nursing grades are primarily tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This statistic is quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this facility really did not fare well here either. With a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 89 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Highwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Highwood, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Highwood, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Highwood, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that have had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Highwood, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Highwood, 30.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Highwood, 87.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Highwood, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Highwood, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Aperion Care Highwood, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Highwood, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Highwood, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Highwood, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.89 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Fmc - Highland1.06 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center3.41 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fkc - Lake Bluff6.22 miles away101 Waukegan Road, Suite 700 Lake Bluff Illinois 60044CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 735-0870
- Glen Dialysis6.89 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc7.2 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Mundelein9.02 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center9.23 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis9.69 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400