Aperion Care Elgin is an average-sized facility located in Elgin, Illinois. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. If you are not happy with this facility's subpar overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are seven other nursing homes in Elgin. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Aperion Care Elgin
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that have a long list of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in this area. As it turns out, this ended up being its second best grade. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 67.52412 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Elgin?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. There are numerous factors included in this grade. Many of the factors relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care, in which this nursing home was given a rock bottom score here also. It received an F for this area, which is definitely a major concern. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Considering its score in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Elgin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Elgin, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Elgin, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Elgin, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Elgin, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Elgin, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Elgin, 29.8% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Elgin, 87.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Elgin, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Elgin, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Aperion Care Elgin, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Elgin, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Elgin, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Elgin, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 0.84 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 8.41 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.85 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin1.7 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis2.31 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training2.88 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Fkc - Elgin2.9 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Fmc - of Elgin3.01 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Carpentersville5.69 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis6.07 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center7.66 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700