Aperion Care Dolton is an average-sized nursing home located in Dolton, Illinois. This facility received a rock bottom overall grade based on the data we assessed. Based on our analysis, this place likely isn't a fit for any prospective resident. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this place received a decent grade in our long-term care category. You can find more information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aperion Care Dolton
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
14325 South Blackstone,
Dolton IL 60419
91.02% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Aperion Care Dolton has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility an F. Nursing scores are largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Aperion Care Dolton?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a a very poor score in our short-term care category. It received a lowly F in this area. Our short-term care grades are critical for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this place offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a rock bottom score in this category also. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is often a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated only 66.30435 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aperion Care Dolton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aperion Care Dolton, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aperion Care Dolton, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aperion Care Dolton, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aperion Care Dolton, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aperion Care Dolton, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aperion Care Dolton, 31.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aperion Care Dolton, 87.05% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aperion Care Dolton, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aperion Care Dolton, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Aperion Care Dolton, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aperion Care Dolton, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aperion Care Dolton, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aperion Care Dolton, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Davita - Calumet City Dialysis1.6 miles away1200 Sibley Blvd Calumet City Illinois 60409Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 862-6454
- Davita - South Holland3.02 miles away16110 Lasalle Street South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 331-7697
- Hammond Dialysis Center3.05 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819
- Davita - Harvey Dialysis3.25 miles away16641 S. Halsted St., Ste A Harvey Illinois 60426Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 210-9500
- Fmc - North Hammond3.28 miles away5454 Hohman Avenue Dialysis Unit on Campus Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 933-2089
- Davita - Hammond Dialysis3.39 miles away222 Douglas Street Hammond Indiana 46320CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (219) 932-1199
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland3.68 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Fmc - Roseland4.66 miles away132 W. 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 995-1783