American Village is in Indianapolis, Indiana, which is one of the largest cities in the nation. With an overall rating of B-, this looks like a respectable facility. At the end of the day, this facility ought to be a solid choice for most people. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - County
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home excelled in our short-term care rating, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our short-term care grades are vital for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about American Village?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Our nursing score weighs many datapoints, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is a very low figure. Lastly, although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this statistic.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area is long-term care, which is the final category we assessed. In this area, we awarded this facility a grade of D. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 91.57608 percent of its residents, which is somewhat lower than we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
American Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In American Village, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In American Village, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In American Village, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In American Village, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In American Village, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In American Village, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In American Village, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In American Village, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In American Village, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In American Village, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In American Village, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In American Village, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In American Village, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 5.08 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- Davita Fall Creek2.01 miles away3820 N College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 926-5125
- Fmc-Indianapolis Midtown2.82 miles away3007 Dr Andrew J Brown Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 924-8104
- Fmc - Indianapolis3.75 miles away2480 North Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (317) 923-4520
- Davita Metro Point Dialysis4.27 miles away1218 North Pennsylvania Street Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 686-0548
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis4.75 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Circle City4.87 miles away1420 N. Senate Ave., Suite B Indianapolis Indiana 46202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 632-1273
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North5.03 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Fmc - Shadeland Station5.12 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401