American Village is in Indianapolis, Indiana, which is one of the largest cities in the nation. With an overall rating of B-, this looks like a respectable facility. At the end of the day, this facility ought to be a solid choice for most people. We were also pleased to find that this place received consistently decent grades in all of the other areas we looked at. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a short-term care grade which is better than its overall grade. We awarded this facility a B+ in this area. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We weren't able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about American Village?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. We assessed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in computing our score in this area. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is long-term care. We awarded it a C in that category. This is a decent grade in this area. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 86.33721 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly below average. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
American Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In American Village, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In American Village, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In American Village, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In American Village, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In American Village, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In American Village, 14.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In American Village, 91.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In American Village, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In American Village, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In American Village, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In American Village, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In American Village, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In American Village, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 5.08 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- Davita Fall Creek2.01 miles away3820 N College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 926-5125
- Fmc-Indianapolis Midtown2.82 miles away3007 Dr Andrew J Brown Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 924-8104
- Fmc - Indianapolis3.75 miles away2480 North Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (317) 923-4520
- Davita Metro Point Dialysis4.27 miles away1218 North Pennsylvania Street Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 686-0548
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis4.75 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Circle City4.87 miles away1420 N. Senate Ave., Suite B Indianapolis Indiana 46202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 632-1273
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North5.03 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Fmc - Shadeland Station5.12 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401