Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home is a large government-owned facility in El Paso, Texas. Sporting an overall score of B+, this is a very good facility. This is one of the five best facilities in the city. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on El Paso senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home also received top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in this category, with an A-. Our inspection grades are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we gave this facility an A-. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 93.36824 percent of its patients, which is somewhat below what we were hoping for. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was short-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a solid grade of B-. This ended up being this facility's worst category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 4.74% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 2.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 5.88% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 0.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 89.97% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 13.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 19.4% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 19.4% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 19 other nursing homes
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.82 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.04 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 8.08 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- The Hospitals of Providence Memorial CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away2001 N Oregon St El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 577-6011
- Las Palmas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away1801 North Oregon Street El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 521-1200
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- Transmountain Dialysis0.71 miles away5800 Woodrow Bean El Paso Texas 79924CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 759-6532
- Fresenius Medical Care El Paso Transmountain, LLC1.96 miles away10112 Dyer St El Paso Texas 79924Dialysis Stations: 13 (915) 757-2271
- Mountain Pass Dialysis4.14 miles away5612 Dyer Street El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 564-5052
- Dsi El Paso North, LLC4.47 miles away3359 Fred Wilson Ave El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 304-5816
- Us Renal Care West El Paso Dialysis6.2 miles away3100 N Stanton El Paso Texas 79902Dialysis Stations: 16 (915) 532-7007
- Mission Hills Dialysis6.23 miles away2700 North Stanton El Paso Texas 79902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 351-0722
- Zillmar Dialysis LLC7.33 miles away2929 Montana Ave El Paso Texas 79903Dialysis Stations: 25 (915) 566-0634
- Upper Valley Dialysis8.03 miles away7933 N Mesa Suite H El Paso Texas 79932CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (915) 832-0555