Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home is a large government-owned facility in El Paso, Texas. Sporting an overall score of B, this appears to be a good facility. This is one of the three best facilities in the city. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
9650 Kenworthy St,
El Paso TX 79924
80% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home also received top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in this category, with an A+. Our inspection grades are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we gave this facility an B. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable short-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. Short-term care ratings are important for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, where we gave this facility a grade of C in that category. In determining our long-term care scores, we size up the personal care received by the facility's residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility vaccinated 98.25581 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable statistic. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 4.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is important for residents' health.
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 19 other nursing homes
- William Beaumont Amg (Ft Bliss)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.82 miles away5005 N. Piedras St. El Paso Texas 79920Department of Defense(915) 742-2121
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.04 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 8.08 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- The Hospitals of Providence Memorial CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away2001 N Oregon St El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 577-6011
- Las Palmas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away1801 North Oregon Street El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 521-1200
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- Transmountain Dialysis0.71 miles away5800 Woodrow Bean El Paso Texas 79924CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 759-6532
- Fresenius Medical Care El Paso Transmountain, LLC1.96 miles away10112 Dyer St El Paso Texas 79924Dialysis Stations: 13 (915) 757-2271
- Mountain Pass Dialysis4.14 miles away5612 Dyer Street El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 564-5052
- Dsi El Paso North, LLC4.47 miles away3359 Fred Wilson Ave El Paso Texas 79904Dialysis Stations: 17 (915) 304-5816
- Us Renal Care West El Paso Dialysis6.2 miles away3100 N Stanton El Paso Texas 79902Dialysis Stations: 16 (915) 532-7007
- Mission Hills Dialysis6.23 miles away2700 North Stanton El Paso Texas 79902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 351-0722
- Zillmar Dialysis LLC7.33 miles away2929 Montana Ave El Paso Texas 79903Dialysis Stations: 25 (915) 566-0634
- Upper Valley Dialysis8.03 miles away7933 N Mesa Suite H El Paso Texas 79932CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (915) 832-0555