Amboy Care Center is a nursing home in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, which has a total of 53,099 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. In our view, this facility is a good fit for quite a few people. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Amboy Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Perth Amboy senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing grade is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Amboy Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest category turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. Our long-term care grades are important for residents in need of personal care. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home provided the vaccine to just 76.45631 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a very poor grade. This is clearly a major disappointment. Our short-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its poor grade in this category, we weren't stunned to find this place provides substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Amboy Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Amboy Care Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Amboy Care Center, 0.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Amboy Care Center, 0.52% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which have suffered from a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Amboy Care Center, 3.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Amboy Care Center, 18.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Amboy Care Center, 4.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Amboy Care Center, 83.51% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Amboy Care Center, 6.55% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Amboy Care Center, 4.01% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Amboy Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Amboy Care Center, 4.01% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Amboy Care Center, 6.76% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Amboy Care Center, 90.43% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Ara Garden State Kidney Center1.2 miles away345 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 855-2100
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center1.27 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr2.01 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr3.7 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333
- Dva Edison4.44 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis4.45 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.5.4 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Davita Rahway5.78 miles away800 Harrison Street Rahway New Jersey 07065Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 680-0370