Ambler Extended Care Center is one of just two available nursing homes located in Ambler, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the road facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of many people. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ambler Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Ambler senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. Its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B-. In computing our nursing scores, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this area. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambler Extended Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third highest category grade in the area of short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in this category, which is a decent grade. Our short-term care ratings are critical for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is long-term care. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a C. Long-term care ratings are vital for prospective residents needing personal care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 67.07317 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambler Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 6.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 1.22% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 0.93% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 13.97% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 15.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 0% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 83.54% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 18.33% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 17.3% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 17.3% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 3% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 77.5% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 2.36 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Einstein Medical Center MontgomeryAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away559 West Germantown Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19403Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 662-1000
- Lansdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away100 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 368-2100
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall3.91 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington4.81 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Fresenius Kidney Care - East Norriton5.21 miles away2925 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 279-0776
- Davita - Abington Dialysis5.22 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abramson5.37 miles away1425 Horsham Rd North Wales Pennsylvania 19454Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 646-3525
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis5.46 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis5.55 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy6.26 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310