Ambler Extended Care Center is one of just three available nursing homes located in Ambler, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of B, this facility is a great option. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to meet the needs of most people. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Ambler Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
32 South Bethlehem Pike,
Ambler PA 19002
88.3% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also earned top notch health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in this category, with an A+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's above average category scores came in the category of long-term care. We gave them one of our more positive grades in that area, with a grade of B. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 83.333336 percent of its patients, which is a few points less than we expected. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambler Extended Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category turned out to be short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is often a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. It doesn't appear that this facility provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Switching gears to our final area, this nursing home was given an acceptable nursing grade of B-. Our nursing grade features a host of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambler Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which have experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 2.36 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Einstein Medical Center MontgomeryAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away559 West Germantown Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19403Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 662-1000
- Lansdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away100 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 368-2100
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall3.91 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington4.81 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Fresenius Kidney Care - East Norriton5.21 miles away2925 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 279-0776
- Davita - Abington Dialysis5.22 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abramson5.37 miles away1425 Horsham Rd North Wales Pennsylvania 19454Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 646-3525
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis5.46 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis5.55 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy6.26 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310