Ambler Extended Care Center is one of just three available nursing homes located in Ambler, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the road facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this place's report card is its stellar inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Ambler Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. Its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 87.17949 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be a bit below what we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambler Extended Care Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. In computing our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a relatively low total compared with most nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was short-term care, proved to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that area. This was one of the couple of weak links in a very solid report card. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this facility's case, we found that it offers fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambler Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 3.23% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 88.5% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ambler Extended Care Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 2.36 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Einstein Medical Center MontgomeryAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away559 West Germantown Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19403Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 662-1000
- Lansdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away100 Medical Campus Drive Lansdale Pennsylvania 19446Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 368-2100
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall3.91 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington4.81 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Fresenius Kidney Care - East Norriton5.21 miles away2925 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 279-0776
- Davita - Abington Dialysis5.22 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abramson5.37 miles away1425 Horsham Rd North Wales Pennsylvania 19454Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 646-3525
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis5.46 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis5.55 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy6.26 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310