With over 25 nursing homes to choose from having an address in Chicago, Illinois, Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center is one of the seemingly endless list of options here. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a subpar facility. We rated this as one of the five worst rated facilities in Chicago. In a city with more than 40 other nursing homes, you ought to be able to find an alternative. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a somewhat respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that area with a B-. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, while this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its next most favorable category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a C in this area, which is a decent grade. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category was long-term care, which is the last category we assessed. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of D. Nursing homes that do not score well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 70.76923 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is quite a few points less than the national average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 10.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 0.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.39% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 86.37% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 82.61% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.09% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 6.73% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 6.73% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.11% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center, 98.28% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.88 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 3.31 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis0.99 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.1.65 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis1.93 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc2.61 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Logan Square2.76 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971
- Fmc - West Belmont2.89 miles away4943 W Belmont Ave. Chicago Illinois 60641CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (773) 685-7500
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis3 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.33 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555