Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve is a nursing home in Stow, Ohio. This city has a population of 38,742 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in Stow. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Our inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't fare too badly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of B- for that area, which happens to be another one of its better grades. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve?
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. The nursing rating features numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last category, this facility really did not fare well in this category either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. For patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 96.98795 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients which had falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 20% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 90.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Stow, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Stow, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Davita - Munroe Falls3.57 miles away265 North Main Street Munroe Falls Ohio 44262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 689-1400
- Fmc - Portage County Kidney Center4.37 miles away401 Devon Place Ste 100 Kent Ohio 44240CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 677-0880
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center4.92 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160
- Ohio Renal Care Group LLC5.16 miles away320 Broadway St E Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-4511
- U S Renal Care - Cuyahoga Falls5.33 miles away421 Portage Trail, Suite B Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-7970
- Usrc Kent LLC5.43 miles away1720 East Main Street Kent Ohio 44240Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 346-0467
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis8.1 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Davita Ravenna Dialysis Total Renal Care8.97 miles away600 Enterprise Parkway Ravenna Ohio 44266Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 297-5846