Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve is a nursing home in Stow, Ohio. This city has a population of 38,742 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of F. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Stow. The city has just three other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5000 Sowul Boulevard,
Stow OH 44224
71.37% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in Stow, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Our inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't fare too badly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of B- for that area, which happens to be another one of its better grades. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. The nursing rating features numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was long-term care, where this nursing home was given an abysmal score here also. It received an F in this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 91.52542 percent of its patients. This is slightly less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which were administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 20.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 90.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare Transitional Care of the Western Reserve, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Stow, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of F
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Stow, Ohio has 3 other nursing homes
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.28 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Davita - Munroe Falls3.57 miles away265 North Main Street Munroe Falls Ohio 44262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 689-1400
- Fmc - Portage County Kidney Center4.37 miles away401 Devon Place Ste 100 Kent Ohio 44240CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 677-0880
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center4.92 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160
- Ohio Renal Care Group LLC5.16 miles away320 Broadway St E Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-4511
- U S Renal Care - Cuyahoga Falls5.33 miles away421 Portage Trail, Suite B Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-7970
- Usrc Kent LLC5.43 miles away1720 East Main Street Kent Ohio 44240Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 346-0467
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis8.1 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Davita Ravenna Dialysis Total Renal Care8.97 miles away600 Enterprise Parkway Ravenna Ohio 44266Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 297-5846