Altercare of Canal Winchester is a small facility in Canal Winchester, Ohio. This nursing home is a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. You can certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Altercare of Canal Winchester
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. In fact, its inspection grade was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it an A. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to point out that this facility received positive short-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable scores in this area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's second best grade. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare of Canal Winchester?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Our nursing score is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility really didn't fare very well. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this was its poorest category. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility administered the vaccine to 97.02381 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable statistic. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare of Canal Winchester Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 20.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 90.12% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 11.11 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 13.04 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 14.6 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.6 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Fairfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.61 miles away401 North Ewing Street Lancaster Ohio 43130Voluntary non-profit - Other(740) 687-8009
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.97 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Fmc Canal Winchester, LLC5.63 miles away1310 Hill Road North Suite 100 Pickerington Ohio 43147Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 751-8660
- Fmc - Liberty Mid-America Dialysis LLC.6.44 miles away2355 South Hamilton Rd Columbus Ohio 43232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 367-1679
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC7.78 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250
- Kidney Center of Columbus South9.28 miles away2046 Lockbourne Rd Columbus Ohio 43207Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 449-7300
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East9.4 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Kidney Center of Bexley9.67 miles away1151 College Ave. Columbus Ohio 43209Dialysis Stations: 15 (614) 231-2200
- Fmc - Central Ohio East9.71 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis9.93 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224