Located in Canal Winchester, Ohio, Altercare of Canal Winchester is the only option we found in this city. This nursing home proved to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B. You could definitely do much worse than this nursing home. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Altercare of Canal Winchester
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
6725 Thrush Drive,
Canal Winchester OH 43110
87.5% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home performed well in the area of short-term care. As a result, we gave it a score of A- for that category, which is one of our most dominant grades. In our short-term care grade, we seek to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This facility offered more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the nation with 58.6 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Does this page answer your questions about Altercare of Canal Winchester?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. Our nursing rating analyzes several datapoints, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed better than average in this area. This is typically a reliable measure of how carefully a place's nursing staff is tending to its residents. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses and superior safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care, which proved to be this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. Sadly, this category pulled down the facility's overall grade to some degree. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.40476 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altercare of Canal Winchester Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 7.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 1.75% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 12.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 22.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 19.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 90.11% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 15.05% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 18.59% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 18.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altercare of Canal Winchester, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 11.11 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 13.04 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 14.6 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.6 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Fairfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.61 miles away401 North Ewing Street Lancaster Ohio 43130Voluntary non-profit - Other(740) 687-8009
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.97 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Fmc Canal Winchester, LLC5.63 miles away1310 Hill Road North Suite 100 Pickerington Ohio 43147Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 751-8660
- Fmc - Liberty Mid-America Dialysis LLC.6.44 miles away2355 South Hamilton Rd Columbus Ohio 43232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 367-1679
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC7.78 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250
- Kidney Center of Columbus South9.28 miles away2046 Lockbourne Rd Columbus Ohio 43207Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 449-7300
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East9.4 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Kidney Center of Bexley9.67 miles away1151 College Ave. Columbus Ohio 43209Dialysis Stations: 15 (614) 231-2200
- Fmc - Central Ohio East9.71 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis9.93 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224