Altenheim is a large non-profit nursing home located in Strongsville, Ohio. This facility was given an overall rating of A-. As a matter of fact, this is the highest graded facility in Strongsville. You flat out can't do much better than this facility. Scroll down to see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good. It is hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Strongsville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Strongsville, Ohio Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Strongsville, Ohio Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home also received nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
To complement its impressive assessments in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a score of A- for its long-term care score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Altenheim?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this nursing home also received a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. Short-term care ratings are crucial for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The last category we rated was nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a favorable grade of B. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as reliable measures of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Altenheim Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Altenheim, 8.12% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Altenheim, 0.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who have suffered a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Altenheim, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Altenheim, 3.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Altenheim, 15.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Altenheim, 10.25% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Altenheim, 99.14% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Altenheim, 4.69% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Altenheim, 5.17% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Altenheim, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Altenheim, 5.17% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Altenheim, 8.96% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Altenheim, 83.53% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Medina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.47 miles away1000 East Washington Street Medina Ohio 44256Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 725-1000
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.38 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.7 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Davita Dialysis - Strongsville1.03 miles away17792 Pearl Rd. Strongsville Ohio 44136CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 238-9270
- Davita - Middleburg Heights Dialysis4.34 miles away7360 Engle Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 24 (440) 891-5645
- Davita - Kidney Center of Brunswick4.69 miles away3812 Center Road, Suite 101 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 220-4502
- Nxstage Cleveland, LLC4.81 miles away1418 Town Center Blvd a-30 Brunswick Ohio 44212Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 558-8744
- Fmc - Brunswick Dialysis Center5.23 miles away2583-2585 Center Road Hinckley Ohio 44233Dialysis Stations: 19 (330) 220-4366
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights5.74 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Davita - Parma Dialysis7 miles away6735 Ames Road Cleveland Ohio 44129Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 743-0690
- Davita - Parma Heights Dialysis7.11 miles away9050 North Church Drive Cleveland Ohio 44130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 842-0895