Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre is an average-sized facility in Riverside, California. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D in our grading scheme. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Riverside. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a very good score in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B for that category, which is one of our better grades. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid facilities that have a long list of deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We also gave this facility a strong grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. This is better than most nursing homes in this category. Nursing ratings are largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only received a grade of D for its short-term care grade, which is not a very good score. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most critical for those requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its weak score in this category, we weren't shocked to discover that this nursing home offers substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive category is long-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. In this category, we gave this facility a D. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is an above average total. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents who had a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Corona Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away800 South Main Street Corona California 92882Proprietary(951) 737-4343
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Riverside University Health System-Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away26520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Government - Local(951) 486-4000
- Van Buren Dialysis0.81 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central2.48 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home2.49 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Fmc-Riverside2.79 miles away3470 La Sierra Avenue, Suite E Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (951) 343-7700
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis2.79 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Riverside3.06 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 10800 Magnolia Avenue, Module 1x Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 4 (951) 353-4887
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis3.51 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Davita-Riverside Dialysis Center6.37 miles away4361 Latham Street, Suite 100 Riverside California 92501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (951) 682-2700