Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre is located in Riverside, California. The city has a multitude of options. This proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. This nursing home has a few things working in its favor. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
9020 Garfield Street,
Riverside CA 92503
95.35% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's inspection score exceeded its overall grade. This facility earned a B+ in this category, which is a quality score. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that category, which is one of our better scores. Our nursing rating is mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category was long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this area. In the category of long-term care, we weigh the quantity of care offered by a facility, as opposed to more sophisticated services. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.375 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for the area of short-term care. This was the nursing home's weakest category score. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Based on its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the measures we looked at. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alta Vista Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Corona Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away800 South Main Street Corona California 92882Proprietary(951) 737-4343
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Riverside University Health System-Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away26520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Government - Local(951) 486-4000
- Van Buren Dialysis0.81 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central2.48 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home2.49 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Fmc-Riverside2.79 miles away3470 La Sierra Avenue, Suite E Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (951) 343-7700
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis2.79 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Riverside3.06 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 10800 Magnolia Avenue, Module 1x Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 4 (951) 353-4887
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis3.51 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Davita-Riverside Dialysis Center6.37 miles away4361 Latham Street, Suite 100 Riverside California 92501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (951) 682-2700