Alta Gardens Care Center is in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. This is a quality nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Garden Grove. In our view, this nursing home looks like a good fit for quite a few people. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Alta Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall rating, this facility fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this category, which is one of our highest grades. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.02631 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alta Gardens Care Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. Our nursing rating consists of several components, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. This facility was given a C for this area. In computing these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, we were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alta Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who sustained a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Garden Grove, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Garden Grove, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove0.27 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis0.32 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.73 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center2.34 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.54 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- Satellite Healthcare Orange2.57 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.7 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.28 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518