Alta Gardens Care Center is in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall score of B+ which is a strong overall score. As a result, it outpaced the average nursing home in Garden Grove by a notable margin. As far as we can see, this place is a good fit for most people. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alta Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Garden Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also earned first-rate health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with an A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so favorably is that it was given a very impressive long-term care score. In fact, long-term care is its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A-. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.723755 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alta Gardens Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a favorable short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that area with a score of B+. In determining these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this facility was awarded a decent nursing rating. Even though this was not as good as a few of its other scores, this is really a middle of the pack score. The nursing grade weighs a variety of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a relatively low total compared with most other nursing homes. Lastly, our nursing ratings also factor in some quality-focused measures. We especially like to look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. Sometimes these statistics are indicators of the quality of nursing care, since superior care tends to reduce these issues.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alta Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 2.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 7.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 0.63% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term care patients which have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 4.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 10.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 0.3% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 99.86% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 2.59% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 6.31% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 6.31% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 84.98% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Garden Grove, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Garden Grove, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove0.27 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis0.32 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.73 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center2.34 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.54 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- Satellite Healthcare Orange2.57 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.7 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.28 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518