Alta Gardens Care Center is in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. This is a quality nursing home with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to learn that many of the other nursing homes in Garden Grove received similar scores. Based on our assessment, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Alta Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
13075 Blackbird Street,
Garden Grove CA 92843
85.27% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best grades. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility fared well in the category of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our better grades. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.4985 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alta Gardens Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its next highest category grade in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this area, which is a decent grade. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
The last category we assessed ended up being this facility's weakest category. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it a respectable grade of B- in nursing. There are a number of subcategories included in this area. Most of the data points reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This facility averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is not an impressive total. Finally, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alta Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that sustained a UTI. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alta Gardens Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Garden Grove, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Garden Grove, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.08 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove0.27 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis0.32 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.73 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center2.34 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.54 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- Satellite Healthcare Orange2.57 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.7 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.28 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518