Alpine Fireside Health Center is a small nursing home located in Rockford, Illinois. Featuring an overall grade of B, this is a fine facility. In fact, we found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in Rockford, which has a city grade of B-. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Alpine Fireside Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially want to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded it an A in this area. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. Without having all of the deficiency related data for this facility, it was challenging to really grade the place in the inspections category.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also received a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alpine Fireside Health Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing rating weighs several datapoints, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, we gave this nursing home a D for the area of long-term care. This is the facility's weakest category rating. Unfortunately, this grade pulled down the nursing home's overall grade a bit. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 97.05882 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alpine Fireside Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients which have suffered a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 29.8% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 87.49% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alpine Fireside Health Center, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Rockford, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Rockford, Illinois has 12 other nursing homes
- Saint Anthony Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away5666 East State Street Rockford Illinois 61108Voluntary non-profit - Church(815) 226-2000
- Mercyhealth Hospital Rockton AvenueAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away2400 North Rockton Avenue Rockford Illinois 61103Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 968-6861
- Swedish American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away1401 East State Street Rockford Illinois 61104Voluntary non-profit - Other(815) 968-4400
- Beloit Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.42 miles away1969 W Hart Rd Beloit Wisconsin 53511Voluntary non-profit - Private(608) 364-5011
- Davita - Machesney Park Dialysis2.61 miles away7170 N. Perryville Road Machesney Park Illinois 61115CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (815) 885-8132
- Davita - Roxbury Dialysis Center2.8 miles away622 Roxbury Road Rockford Illinois 61107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (815) 397-0713
- Davita - Rockford Dialysis3.45 miles away3339 N. Rockton Ave Rockford Illinois 61103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (815) 636-4493
- Davita - Churchview Dialysis Center3.66 miles away417 Ware Avenue Rockford Illinois 61107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (815) 397-4123
- Davita - Stone Crest Dialysis3.79 miles away1302 E. State St. Rockford Illinois 61104CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (815) 968-5794
- Davita Forest City Dialysis6.32 miles away198 North Springfield Avenue Rockford Illinois 61101Dialysis Stations: 12 (815) 962-8914
- Davita - Belvidere Dialysis8.82 miles away1751 Henry Luckow Lane Belvidere Illinois 61008Dialysis Stations: 12 (815) 544-0311
- Beloit Health System - Dialysis16.55 miles away1969 W Hart Rd Beloit Wisconsin 53511Dialysis Stations: 18 (608) 364-5580