Alpha Manor Nursing Home is a small facility located in Detroit, Michigan. This turns out to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. As far as we can see, this place is a good fit for most people. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Alpha Manor Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Alpha Manor Nursing Home has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A+. This is a much better score than the place's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This facility performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it an C for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Nursing ratings are primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this area. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Alpha Manor Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second least favorable category is short-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. With a grade of this caliber in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing figures we focus on. The nursing home supplied substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this facility really didn't perform very well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this was its worst area. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the vaccine to just 90.66148 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alpha Manor Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 91.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alpha Manor Nursing Home, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.36 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.33 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick0.59 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.34 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.49 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.88 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.58 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.77 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.99 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Cadieux5.54 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295