Alpha Home - A Waters Community is a facility located in Indianapolis, Indiana which has a total of 910,148 people. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. Indianapolis received a city grade of C, so there are other options in the city worth looking at. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility earned a decent grade in the area of nursing. We provide additional information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alpha Home - A Waters Community
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Alpha Home - A Waters Community has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Even though this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. We awarded it a C for that area. Our nursing grade is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this subcategory. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this facility was awarded just a D in that area. As it turns out, this ended up being one of its better grades. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. With its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Alpha Home - A Waters Community?
This nursing home received an F for its inspection score. This is a particularly important category. Scores in this range typically point to red flags on the nursing home's inspections. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection rating, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home was given a rock bottom grade of F in that area. Facilities that receive this type of grade in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated 63.841805 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be several points below what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alpha Home - A Waters Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 4.55% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 1.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 0.56% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 14.66% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 23.03% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 0.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 77.11% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 15.43% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 15.34% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 15.34% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 16.46% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alpha Home - A Waters Community, 81.78% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 6.8 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Davita - Westview Dialysis1.65 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Dci - Indianapolis1.79 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Davita Speedway Dialysis2.03 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis2.25 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303
- Davita Metro Point Dialysis2.26 miles away1218 North Pennsylvania Street Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 686-0548
- Fmc - Indianapolis2.43 miles away2480 North Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (317) 923-4520
- Fmc - Circle City2.44 miles away1420 N. Senate Ave., Suite B Indianapolis Indiana 46202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 632-1273
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy2.47 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729