Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in San Jose, California. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a decent rating. The nursing homes in San Jose received quality scores across the board with a city grade of a B. We were also pleased to discover that this nursing home was consistent in each of the other areas we looked at. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2065 Los Gatos-Almaden Road,
San Jose CA 95124
86.23% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home one of our better scores in short-term care, where it received an A. This is much better than the nursing home's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This area is often a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides a greater volume of physical therapist hours to its residents than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home with 63.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Inspections is another area where this facility excelled. We gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Inspection scores are based on items located in the a nursing home's inspections. Places that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our nursing rating is largely associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Although this facility excelled in terms of quantity of nursing hours, it lagged a bit in certain metrics that related to quality. This facility's nursing grade was hurt by poor performance in the area of minimizing pressure ulcers. We found that 13.1 percent of this facility's residents experienced pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. In addition to assessing the very solid volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff at this nursing home, we also were impressed by the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very respectable. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Although it had 2.34 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was better than most nursing homes due to it having more complex patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 4.32% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 96.21% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 17 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 7.59 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Fmc Los Gatos1.32 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center1.9 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley2.26 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Satellite Dialysis Los Gatos2.43 miles away53 Los Gatos Saratoga Road Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 17 (408) 458-4460
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC3.87 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose4.71 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center5.05 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose5.86 miles away393 Blossom Hill Road Suite 110 San Jose California 95123CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 629-9802