Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in San Jose, California. This is a subpar nursing home, with an overall grade of D. As far as we can see, we'd be very reluctant to recommend this facility. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a somewhat respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that area with a B-. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second most favorable category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. Our short-term care grade is generally used to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a solid grade of C. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's personal care rather than the skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The next area we looked at was nursing, which turned out to be this facility's least impressive area. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in that area. When determining our nursing ratings, we analyze both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents that developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 7.59 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Fmc Los Gatos1.32 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center1.9 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley2.26 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Satellite Dialysis Los Gatos2.43 miles away53 Los Gatos Saratoga Road Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 17 (408) 458-4460
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC3.87 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose4.71 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center5.05 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose5.86 miles away393 Blossom Hill Road Suite 110 San Jose California 95123CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 629-9802