Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in San Jose, California. Sporting an overall grade of B, this facility is a fine choice. The facilities in San Jose received high scores across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in California to find a nursing home. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. In forming these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that had UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Almaden Health and Rehabilitation Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 7.59 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Fmc Los Gatos1.32 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center1.9 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley2.26 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Satellite Dialysis Los Gatos2.43 miles away53 Los Gatos Saratoga Road Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 17 (408) 458-4460
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC3.87 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose4.71 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center5.05 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose5.86 miles away393 Blossom Hill Road Suite 110 San Jose California 95123CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 629-9802