Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center is a very-large non-profit facility in Scranton, Pennsylvania. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of C. This facility seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's inspection grade exceeded its overall grade. This facility earned a B+ in this category, which is a quality score. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. Our short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of C. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared to most facilities. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this metric. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care, is this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 91.72577 percent of its residents. This is slightly below what we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Allied Services Skilled Nursing Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Scranton, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Scranton, Pennsylvania has 10 other nursing homes
- Regional Hospital of ScrantonAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away746 Jefferson Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18501Proprietary(570) 348-7100
- Moses Taylor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away700 Quincy Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Proprietary(570) 340-2100
- Geisinger-Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away1822 Mulberry Street Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 969-8240
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.24 miles away1000 East Mountain Boulevard Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18711Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 826-7300
- Wilkes-Barre General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.74 miles away575 North River Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18764Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 829-8111
- Tyler Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.44 miles away5950 State Route 6 West Tunkhannock Pennsylvania 18657Proprietary(570) 836-2161
- Scranton Dialysis0.74 miles awayRear 475 Morgan Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18508Dialysis Stations: 14 (570) 341-8270
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc2.88 miles away321 Meridian Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18504Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 340-1648
- Dunmore Dialysis2.95 miles away1212 Oneal Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 558-0190
- Commonwealth Dialysis3.45 miles away920 S. Washington Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18505Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 344-5267
- Davita - Eynon Dialysis5.59 miles away260 Scranton Carbondale Highway Archbald Pennsylvania 18403Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 876-1874
- Old Forge Dialysis6.46 miles away325 South Main Street Old Forge Pennsylvania 18518Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 457-3174
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pittston9.87 miles away455 North Main Street Pittston Pennsylvania 18640Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 655-4115
- Tunkhannock Dialysis14.11 miles away5950 Sr 6 Tunkhannock Pennsylvania 18657Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 836-6139