Alliance Health at Devereux is a small non-profit facility located in Marblehead, Massachusetts. This facility is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. This nursing home was given one of the best scores we offer. In fact, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in Massachusetts. This is an impressive achievement in a state with a long list of elite facilities. This nursing home also received very consistent ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Alliance Health at Devereux
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
39 Lafayette Street,
Marblehead MA 01945
80.31% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a strong overall grade, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspection category. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a fine short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being this nursing home's second most impressive category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our short-term care ratings are probably more important for residents requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most facilities we looked at. This is usually an excellent sign. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in the country with 68.2 percent of its patients returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Alliance Health at Devereux?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. The nursing rating is based on several subcategories, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility excelled in these areas, with excellent scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care, where this facility was given a B+. This finished off a very impressive profile. Not many facilities received a B+ or higher in every single category. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. One of the data points we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 90.551186 percent of its patients. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.6 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alliance Health at Devereux Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 1.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 91.59% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alliance Health at Devereux, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 2.04 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis2.34 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Peabody Dialysis Center4.37 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- North Shore Regional Dialysis Center5.65 miles away133 Brimbal Ave Unit E Beverly Massachusetts 01915CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 921-2052
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers6.95 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)7.23 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham11.33 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center12.83 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)13 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282