Located in Alhambra, California, Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre is one of five available facilities there. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which is not a bad score. This is comparable with the city grade in Alhambra, which is a B-. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. This facility did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any rock-bottom grades either. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall grade, we also would like to point out that this facility earned favorable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of B. This is a notably better score than the nursing home's overall score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Building on this nursing home's list of strengths, it also earned an excellent nursing score. We awarded them an impressive grade of B- in this category. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this category. In crafting these long-term care grades, we look at the facility's personal care services. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.61089 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category was short-term care, which is the last category we scored. In this area, we gave this facility a grade of D. Our short-term care grades are important for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.3 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alhambra Healthcare & Wellness Centre, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Alhambra, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Alhambra, California has 4 other nursing homes
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.31 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center1.42 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic1.42 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center1.6 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Fmc-Alhambra1.72 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726
- Rosemead Dialysis Center1.74 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC1.85 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis2.24 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.21 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500