Alexandria Care Center turns out to be just one of 75 facilities located in Los Angeles, California. This city has quite a few more options to choose from than most other cities in the state. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some solid scores. In our view, this facility ought to be a good fit for most people. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alexandria Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1515 N Alexandria Ave.,
Los Angeles CA 90027
82.71% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this facility's nursing grade outpaced its overall rating. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ for its nursing grade, which is one of our better scores. The nursing grade consists of several components, many of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second best category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is essentially a middle of the pack score in this area. In determining our long-term care grades, we quantify the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alexandria Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. In computing our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
The last category we looked at is inspections. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. This facility received a C in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This nursing home had 12 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories J through L. This indicates that inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to place patient health or safety in immediate harm or jeopardy. In the bigger picture, this inspection report could have been much worse.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alexandria Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alexandria Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alexandria Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alexandria Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alexandria Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alexandria Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alexandria Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alexandria Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alexandria Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alexandria Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Alexandria Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alexandria Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alexandria Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alexandria Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.42 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 0.43 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 1.55 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.43 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles1.62 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset1.62 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis2.04 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.55 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.65 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.84 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis3.24 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016