Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home is an average-sized government-owned nursing home in Hollywood, Florida. We gave this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top quarter of all facilities in the country. We could not find many bad things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are just impeccable. We also gave this nursing home impressive ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hollywood senior living options.Get Pricing
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hollywood, Florida Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this facility also received an excellent nursing grade, with an A. Nursing scores are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Only a select group of nursing homes received a better grade in this category. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home?
This nursing home also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our more favorable grades in this category, with a grade of B. Although this isn't as high as a few of its other scores, it is nevertheless a fine score. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 14.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 1.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 6.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 21.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 21.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 0% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 96.3% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 10.88% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 12.87% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 12.87% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 0.3 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- Aventura Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away20900 Biscayne Blvd Miami Florida 33180Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 682-7000
- Memorial Hospital MiramarAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1901 Sw 172nd Ave Hollywood Florida 33029Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 538-4810
- Cleveland Clinic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away3100 Weston Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33331Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 689-5000
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- Palmetto General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away2001 W 68th St Hialeah Florida 33016Proprietary(305) 823-5000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Pembroke Pines0.5 miles away8100 Johnson Street Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 367-6489
- Johnson Dialysis Center LLC1.16 miles away7769 Johnson St Hollywood Florida 33024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 962-9640
- Universal Kidney Center of Pembroke Pines Miramar1.42 miles away18004 Nw 6th Street Hollywood Florida 33029Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 433-9400
- Renal Carepartners at Memorial West LLC1.52 miles away601 N Flamingo Road Ste 109 Pembroke Pines Florida 33028CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 362-5010
- Embassy Lakes Artificial Kidney Center2.05 miles away11011 Sheridan St Suite 308 Hollywood Florida 33026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 430-9166
- Johnson Dialysis Center - Davie2.08 miles away3105 N University Dr Suite #103 Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 15 (954) 362-7087
- A Unique Kidney Center LLC2.08 miles away3105 N University Dr Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 1 (954) 438-6080
- Professional Dialysis Center2.26 miles away10021 Pines Blvd #201 Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 32 (954) 417-1070