Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home is an average-sized government-owned nursing home in Hollywood, Florida. We gave this facility an A overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. We could not find many bad things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are just impeccable. We also gave this nursing home impressive ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home averages 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its high-end profile, this facility also received a dominant short-term care grade, with a score of A-. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home?
This nursing home also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category, this facility also was given a first-rate long-term care grade, with a grade of B+. This finished off a very impressive profile. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.68944 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 2.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 94.61% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alexander Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Scores for Hollywood, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Hollywood, Florida has 5 other nursing homes
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 0.3 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- Aventura Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away20900 Biscayne Blvd Miami Florida 33180Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 682-7000
- Memorial Hospital MiramarAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1901 Sw 172nd Ave Hollywood Florida 33029Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 538-4810
- Cleveland Clinic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away3100 Weston Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33331Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 689-5000
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- Palmetto General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away2001 W 68th St Hialeah Florida 33016Proprietary(305) 823-5000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Pembroke Pines0.5 miles away8100 Johnson Street Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 367-6489
- Johnson Dialysis Center LLC1.16 miles away7769 Johnson St Hollywood Florida 33024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 962-9640
- Universal Kidney Center of Pembroke Pines Miramar1.42 miles away18004 Nw 6th Street Hollywood Florida 33029Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 433-9400
- Renal Carepartners at Memorial West LLC1.52 miles away601 N Flamingo Road Ste 109 Pembroke Pines Florida 33028CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 362-5010
- Embassy Lakes Artificial Kidney Center2.05 miles away11011 Sheridan St Suite 308 Hollywood Florida 33026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 430-9166
- Johnson Dialysis Center - Davie2.08 miles away3105 N University Dr Suite #103 Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 15 (954) 362-7087
- A Unique Kidney Center LLC2.08 miles away3105 N University Dr Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 1 (954) 438-6080
- Professional Dialysis Center2.26 miles away10021 Pines Blvd #201 Hollywood Florida 33024Dialysis Stations: 32 (954) 417-1070