Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility is a very-small non-profit facility located in San Rafael, California. Sporting an overall grade of A, this facility is one of the most elite nursing homes we looked at. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top ten percentile of all facilities nationally. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its long-term care rating, which you can find in the next section.
Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
326 Mission Avenue,
San Rafael CA 94901
58% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered after this nursing home's impressive nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for seniors. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an A+. The nursing score includes several components, however, the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provided 6.7 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This was one of the highest totals we found. Furthermore, a significant portion of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. On top of providing impressive levels of care, this nursing home also excelled in several of the quality-based metrics we assessed. With less than 5 percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is usually a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls. Many pressure ulcers could be avoided by providing better nursing care and a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
In the next category we looked at, this facility received quality marks in the area of short-term care. Consequently, it was given one of our most impressive scores in that area with a of A+. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. This nursing home provided more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. This is what we like to find when assessing a nursing home in this category. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. On top of excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home with 69 percent of its residents returning home.
Adding to its other impressive category grades, we gave this nursing home a score of B+ for its inspection grade. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 4.32% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 96.21% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aldersly Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for San Rafael, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? San Rafael, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.72 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 13.87 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.06 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- San Rafael Dialysis0.87 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Northgate Dialysis Center2.79 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- Satellite Dialysis Greenbrae3.52 miles away565 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Greenbrae California 94904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (415) 924-8622
- San Pablo Dialysis Center9.57 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita Richmond Dialysis9.73 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center11.72 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita El Sobrante13.05 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Pacific Dialysis13.54 miles away2351 Clay Street 4th Floor San Francisco California 94115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (415) 440-2852