Alden Estates of Skokie is a small nursing home located in Skokie, Illinois. This is an A+ rated facility. Receiving an A+ in our grading system takes first-rate performance across the board. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as the top facility in Skokie. As you can see below, this facility performed equally well in our category scores. We give this place two thumbs up!
Alden Estates of Skokie
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home earned near flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home received superb marks in the area of short-term care. Consequently, it received one of our best grades in that category with a grade of A+. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Skokie?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing grade is based on many subcategories, however, the main one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last area, we gave this facility an A+ for its long-term care score. This completed an elite profile. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Skokie Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who had falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 29.8% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 87.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Skokie, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Skokie, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Skokie, Illinois has 4 other nursing homes
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 7.92 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis0.93 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston1.32 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center2.64 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.35 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis3.74 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Rogers Park4.12 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Glen Dialysis4.7 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Niles4.73 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334