Alden Estates of Shorewood is one of only two available facilities in Shorewood, Illinois. Sporting an overall score of B, this facility is a quality choice. This place truly has plenty working in its favor. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Alden Estates of Shorewood
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection grades are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other achievements is its elite short-term care grade. It received one of our best grades in that area, with a score of A-. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more meaningful for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Shorewood?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities third best area was long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average grade in this area. In the area of long-term care, we weigh the quantity of care offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 95.454544 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to our fourth category, we gave this nursing home a D in nursing. This is the nursing home's worst category grade. Of course, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we consider the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. With only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Shorewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 30.45% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Shorewood, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Presence Saint Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away333 N Madison St Joliet Illinois 60435Voluntary non-profit - Church(815) 725-7133
- Silver Cross Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away1900 Silver Cross Blvd New Lenox Illinois 60451Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 300-1100
- Adventist Bolingbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.82 miles away500 Remington Boulevard Bolingbrook Illinois 60440Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 312-5000
- Rush Copley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away2000 Ogden Avenue Aurora Illinois 60504Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 978-6200
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.91 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Morris Hospital & Healthcare CentersAcute Care Hospitals 16.21 miles away150 W High St Morris Illinois 60450Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 942-2932
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.43 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Fmc - Plainfield2.06 miles away2320 Michas Drive Plainfield Illinois 60586Dialysis Stations: 15 (815) 230-2267
- Davita - West Joliet2.36 miles away1051 Essington Road Suite 160 Joliet Illinois 60435CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (815) 725-3275
- Affiliated Dialysis of Joliet3.44 miles away1352 Houbolt Rd Joliet Illinois 60431Dialysis Stations: 1 (815) 630-5530
- Sun Health3.92 miles away2121 Oneida St Suite 104 Joliet Illinois 60435Dialysis Stations: 17 (815) 725-7886
- Fmc - Plainfield North5.77 miles away24024 West Riverwalk Ct Plainfield Illinois 60544Dialysis Stations: 10 (815) 577-2898
- Fmc - Joliet7.4 miles away721 East Jackson Street Joliet Illinois 60432CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (815) 726-8619
- Channahon Home Dialysis8.71 miles away27025 W. Eames Street Unit G Channahon Illinois 60410Dialysis Stations: 1 (815) 255-4635
- Davita - Renal Care Center New Lenox11.44 miles away1890 Silver Cross Blvd Suite 150 New Lenox Illinois 60451CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (815) 320-3049