Alden Estates of Barrington is in Barrington, Illinois, a city with a total of 44,095 people. It looks like this facility is a subpar nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. This nursing home has very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alden Estates of Barrington
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Barrington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. Our nursing score analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Barrington?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities third best area is short-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this area. With our short-term care score, we try to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this area, which is a very poor grade. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 47.19388 percent of its residents. This is multiple points less than average. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.05 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Barrington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 2.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 12.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 22.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 25.54% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 57.31% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 3.46% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 6.32% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 6.32% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 11.07% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 94.18% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 8.71 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.62 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Davita - Barrington Creek4.04 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center4.81 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center5.62 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates6.46 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.13 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.68 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.49 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis8.88 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386