Alden Estates of Barrington is in Barrington, Illinois, a city with a total of 44,095 people. It looks like this facility is a subpar nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. This nursing home has very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Alden Estates of Barrington
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1420 South Barrington Road,
Barrington IL 60010
82.06% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. With our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Barrington?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating consists of many datapoints, most of which are based on nursing hours. This particular place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This number is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care, where this facility was given an abysmal score in this category as well. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is obviously a major concern. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this nursing home provided the vaccine to just 71.75573 percent of its patients, which is several points lower than we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.06 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Barrington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 30.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 87.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 8.71 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.62 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Davita - Barrington Creek4.04 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center4.81 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center5.62 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates6.46 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.13 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.68 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.49 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis8.88 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386