Alden Estates of Barrington is in Barrington, Illinois, a city with a total of 44,095 people. It looks like this facility is a subpar nursing home. A grade of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. This nursing home has very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Alden Estates of Barrington
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a B+. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B. With our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Estates of Barrington?
Long-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development is the F this nursing home was given in the category of long-term care. Facilities that don't fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 72.79597 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.08 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
The next category we assessed is nursing, where this nursing home received a very poor grade in this category also. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously very concerning. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in determining our score in this area. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Estates of Barrington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 29.8% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 87.49% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Estates of Barrington, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 8.71 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.62 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Davita - Barrington Creek4.04 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center4.81 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center5.62 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates6.46 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.13 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.68 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.49 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis8.88 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386