With an address in Des Plaines, Illinois, Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc is one of five facilities in the city. We gave this nursing home an overall score of B+, making it the highest rated facility in the city. Based on our assessment, this place has quite a bit going for it. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Des Plaines senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall rating, this nursing home fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. We gave it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it was given a favorable short-term care score. In fact, short-term care ended up being its second highest category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A-. In our short-term care rating, we try to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our higher grades in that area, with a B. This nursing home proved to be strong across the board. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 86.243385 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is a few points lower than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 31.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Des Plaines Rehab & Hc, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Des Plaines, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Des Plaines, Illinois has 4 other nursing homes
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.89 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center1.98 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Des Plaines2.17 miles away1625 Oakton Pl Des Plaines Illinois 60018Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 795-0014
- Fmc - Niles3.09 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Mount Prospect3.51 miles away1710 West Golf Road Mount Prospect Illinois 60056Dialysis Stations: 8 (847) 640-7101
- Davita - Arlington Heights Dialysis4.08 miles away17 W Golf Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 437-2188
- Glen Dialysis4.8 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Davita - Norwood Park Dialysis6 miles away7435 W Talcott Ave - Outpatient Dialysis Chicago Illinois 60631Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 990-7620
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows6.43 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250