Alden Courts of Shorewood is a nursing home located in Shorewood, Illinois, which has a population of 17,395 people. With an overall rating of C, this looks like a decent nursing home. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely far worse places out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Alden Courts of Shorewood
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
700 West Black Road,
Shorewood IL 60404
76.2% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest grades in that area with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care rating is one of its better scores. The nursing home was given a B- in this area. Our short-term care grades are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing. This means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Courts of Shorewood?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing score features a variety of datapoints. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, while this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care, which ended up being a low point for this facility. We gave this facility a grade of just D in long-term care. For patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 99.0566 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Courts of Shorewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 30.45% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 87.4% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Courts of Shorewood, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Presence Saint Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away333 N Madison St Joliet Illinois 60435Voluntary non-profit - Church(815) 725-7133
- Silver Cross Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away1900 Silver Cross Blvd New Lenox Illinois 60451Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 300-1100
- Adventist Bolingbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away500 Remington Boulevard Bolingbrook Illinois 60440Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 312-5000
- Rush Copley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.64 miles away2000 Ogden Avenue Aurora Illinois 60504Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 978-6200
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Morris Hospital & Healthcare CentersAcute Care Hospitals 16.27 miles away150 W High St Morris Illinois 60450Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 942-2932
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.46 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Fmc - Plainfield2.09 miles away2320 Michas Drive Plainfield Illinois 60586Dialysis Stations: 15 (815) 230-2267
- Davita - West Joliet2.28 miles away1051 Essington Road Suite 160 Joliet Illinois 60435CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (815) 725-3275
- Affiliated Dialysis of Joliet3.4 miles away1352 Houbolt Rd Joliet Illinois 60431Dialysis Stations: 1 (815) 630-5530
- Sun Health3.85 miles away2121 Oneida St Suite 104 Joliet Illinois 60435Dialysis Stations: 17 (815) 725-7886
- Fmc - Plainfield North5.77 miles away24024 West Riverwalk Ct Plainfield Illinois 60544Dialysis Stations: 10 (815) 577-2898
- Fmc - Joliet7.32 miles away721 East Jackson Street Joliet Illinois 60432CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (815) 726-8619
- Channahon Home Dialysis8.74 miles away27025 W. Eames Street Unit G Channahon Illinois 60410Dialysis Stations: 1 (815) 255-4635
- Davita - Renal Care Center New Lenox11.36 miles away1890 Silver Cross Blvd Suite 150 New Lenox Illinois 60451CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (815) 320-3049