Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital is one of 75 nursing homes in Los Angeles, California. The city has quite a few more options than most cities in the country. It looks like this is a fine facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. Based on our ratings, this place ought to meet the needs of most people. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent nursing rating. We gave them an A in this category. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. We gave it a grade of A- for that category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This facility was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it an above average score of B in this area. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most critical for individuals in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 4.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest area was long-term care, which is the last area we scored. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable figure. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alcott Rehabilitation Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.45 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire0.93 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.42 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis2.62 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.65 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Davita-Los Angeles Dialysis Center2.68 miles away3901 S. Western Avenue Los Angeles California 90062CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (323) 294-0670
- Davita-Los Angeles Downtown3.03 miles away2021 S. Flower Street Los Angeles California 90007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (213) 745-4222
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program3.05 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis3.08 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041