Alaris Health at West Orange is a facility located in West Orange, New Jersey. The city has a total of 46,182 people. This facility appears to be one of the better facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. This is really as good of a facility as you'll find. Scroll down to see this facility's category scores, which are also quite good. It's hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alaris Health at West Orange
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on West Orange senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility received a strong nursing grade. We gave it an A in that area. The nursing grade analyzes many components, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a very strong short-term care grade. This actually ended up being its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A. In our short-term care score, we strive to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at West Orange?
We gave this facility a score of A- for inspections. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a B. Although this wound up being its poorest category rating, this is nevertheless a strong grade. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 98.09524 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at West Orange Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 6.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 0.95% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who had UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 5.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 5.03% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 99.05% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 6.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 7.89% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 7.89% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 8.13% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 85.39% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for West Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Orange, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 6.14 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC0.94 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange1.23 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis1.84 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fmc Orange Dc2.44 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.48 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Davita East Orange Dialysis3.4 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center3.5 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave3.77 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150