Alaris Health at West Orange is a facility located in West Orange, New Jersey. The city has a total of 46,182 people. This facility appears to be one of the better facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. This is really as good of a facility as you'll find. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Alaris Health at West Orange
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall grade, we awarded this facility an A+ for inspections. Inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a very strong short-term care grade. This actually ended up being its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a score of A. In our short-term care score, we strive to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at West Orange?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Our nursing rating assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored was long-term care. This nursing home was given a strong long-term care score in our assessment, with a grade of C. While this was not nearly as dominant as some of its other scores, this remains an acceptable rating in that category. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's personal care instead of the highly skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 99.646645 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at West Orange Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have suffered falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from UTI's. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 5.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 92% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at West Orange, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for West Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Orange, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.16 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 6.14 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC0.94 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange1.23 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis1.84 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fmc Orange Dc2.44 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.48 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Davita East Orange Dialysis3.4 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center3.5 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave3.77 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150