Alaris Health at the Fountains is the lone option we found in Secaucus, New Jersey. Sporting an overall rating of A, this nursing home is ranked among the most impressive nursing homes we found. You really can't do much better than this place. This nursing home was also given impressive ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alaris Health at the Fountains
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Radiation Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its impressive profile, this facility also performed well in our long-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- for the category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.11308 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at the Fountains?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its short-term care score. This is a first-rate grade. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most meaningful for people in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded an extremely favorable nursing score. We awarded it a B+ in this category, rounding out one of our better report cards. In determining a facility's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are seeing patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at the Fountains Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 92% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Fkc Secaucus1.02 miles away200 Meadowslands Parkway Suite 200a Secaucus New Jersey 07094Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 583-6650
- Fmc Union Hill1.61 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- Davita Jersey City Akc No Bergen1.86 miles away1310 5th Street North Bergen New Jersey 07047CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (201) 770-9220
- Fmc Hoboken Dialysis Ctr2.4 miles away1600 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Dialysis Stations: 16 (201) 656-7500
- Davita Dialysis at Palisades Medical Center3.21 miles away7650 River Road Suite 150 North Bergen New Jersey 07047Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 861-1031
- Rogosin West Side3.41 miles away619 West 54th Street New York New York 10019CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (646) 317-0402
- Fmc Fairview3.65 miles away155-161 Bergen Blvd Fairview New Jersey 07022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 941-6601
- Davita Lyndhurst Dialysis3.69 miles away554-a New York Avenue Lyndhurst New Jersey 07071Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 933-4782