Alaris Health at the Fountains is the lone option we found in Secaucus, New Jersey. With an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a quality option. You could certainly do much worse than this place. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Alaris Health at the Fountains
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
595 County Avenue,
Secaucus NJ 07094
73.92% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Radiation Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong facility is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In this category, we gave this facility an A+. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 98.32776 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at the Fountains?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. We analyzed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our rating in this area. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care. We gave it a B- in that area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at the Fountains Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 91.97% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at the Fountains, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Fkc Secaucus1.02 miles away200 Meadowslands Parkway Suite 200a Secaucus New Jersey 07094Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 583-6650
- Fmc Union Hill1.61 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- Davita Jersey City Akc No Bergen1.86 miles away1310 5th Street North Bergen New Jersey 07047CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (201) 770-9220
- Fmc Hoboken Dialysis Ctr2.4 miles away1600 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Dialysis Stations: 16 (201) 656-7500
- Davita Dialysis at Palisades Medical Center3.21 miles away7650 River Road Suite 150 North Bergen New Jersey 07047Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 861-1031
- Rogosin West Side3.41 miles away619 West 54th Street New York New York 10019CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (646) 317-0402
- Fmc Fairview3.65 miles away155-161 Bergen Blvd Fairview New Jersey 07022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 941-6601
- Davita Lyndhurst Dialysis3.69 miles away554-a New York Avenue Lyndhurst New Jersey 07071Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 933-4782