Alaris Health at St Mary's is a large nursing home located in Orange, New Jersey. With an overall grade of B+, this looks like a high quality nursing home. You can certainly do much worse than this place. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which are also strong. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Alaris Health at St Mary's
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Our inspection ratings are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's above average category grades came in the area of short-term care. We gave them one of our higher grades in that area, with a score of B+. In determining these short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at St Mary's?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of B. This nursing home ended up being very solid in all areas we analyzed. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.171844 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at St Mary's Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 5.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 92% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some would argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.78 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital0.31 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Fmc Orange Dc0.34 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Davita East Orange Dialysis0.67 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.67 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.77 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Davita Renal Center of Newark2.14 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis2.18 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fmc Newark Univ Dc (Miele)2.67 miles away91-101 Hartford Street Newark New Jersey 07103Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-7100