Alaris Health at St Mary's is in Orange, New Jersey. The city has a population of 30,074 people. We gave this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top quarter of all facilities in the nation. You simply can't do any better than this place. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alaris Health at St Mary's
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Orange senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility received an excellent inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in this category with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a impressive short-term care grade. This actually ended up being this nursing home's second most impressive category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at St Mary's?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for our long-term care rating. This is a very strong rating. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99.42748 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The next area we assessed was nursing. This facility was given a very good nursing score in our assessment, with a grade of B-. Although this is not as good as several of its other grades, this is nevertheless an acceptable grade in this category. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared with most other nursing homes. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at St Mary's Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 6.37% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 89.73% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels.
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at St Mary's, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.78 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital0.31 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Fmc Orange Dc0.34 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Davita East Orange Dialysis0.67 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.67 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.77 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Davita Renal Center of Newark2.14 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis2.18 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fmc Newark Univ Dc (Miele)2.67 miles away91-101 Hartford Street Newark New Jersey 07103Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-7100