Alaris Health at Jersey City is one of five available facilities in Jersey City, New Jersey. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is very favorable score. Impressively, the nursing homes in Jersey City received high grades across the board, making this one of the best places in New Jersey to find a nursing home. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alaris Health at Jersey City
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A-. We assessed the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Jersey City?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of B. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this area. With our short-term care category, we endeavor to craft a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it an acceptable grade of C in long-term care. Our long-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's volume of nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Jersey City Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who have had falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 92% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Jersey City, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Jersey City, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Jersey City, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Fmc Jersey City1.28 miles away107-123 Pacific Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (201) 451-3760
- Fmc North Jersey City1.67 miles away29 Cottage Street Jersey City New Jersey 07306Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 876-7964
- Pershing LLC2.22 miles away422 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Dialysis Stations: 4 (201) 332-6413
- Davita Jersey City Summit Dialysis2.41 miles away414 Summit Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07306Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 420-8431
- Hamilton Pk Dialysis Center3.12 miles away328 Ninth Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 516-7700
- Fkc Bayonne3.25 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358
- Davita Renal Center Bayonne3.3 miles away434-436 Broadway Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 436-1664
- Fmc Ironbound4.04 miles away248 South Street Newark New Jersey 07114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 344-0655