Alaris Health at Harbor View is one of five nursing homes located in Jersey City, New Jersey. This nursing home is a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. This place truly has plenty working in its favor. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Alaris Health at Harbor View
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall score, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspections rating. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Harbor View?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. The nursing rating includes numerous datapoints. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area was long-term care, which is the final category we scored. In this area, we gave this nursing home an D. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.06103 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Harbor View Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 92% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Harbor View, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Jersey City, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Jersey City, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.45 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Hamilton Pk Dialysis Center0.87 miles away328 Ninth Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 516-7700
- Davita Jersey City Summit Dialysis1.14 miles away414 Summit Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07306Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 420-8431
- Davita Jersey City Akc No Bergen1.26 miles away1310 5th Street North Bergen New Jersey 07047CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (201) 770-9220
- Fmc Hoboken Dialysis Ctr1.42 miles away1600 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Dialysis Stations: 16 (201) 656-7500
- Pershing LLC1.69 miles away422 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Dialysis Stations: 4 (201) 332-6413
- Fmc Jersey City2.27 miles away107-123 Pacific Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (201) 451-3760
- Fmc Union Hill2.37 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.53 miles away510-526 Avenue of the Americas Sub Cellar New York New York 10011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (212) 675-6880