Optima Care Harborview is one of only two available facilities in Jersey City, New Jersey. This is a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Optima Care Harborview
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Jersey City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our short-term care score. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Optima Care Harborview?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Our nursing rating considers a number of factors. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care. We gave it a lowly F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. We would not necessarily rule out a nursing home because of one terrible category though. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 98.32936 percent of its residents, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Optima Care Harborview Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Optima Care Harborview, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Optima Care Harborview, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Optima Care Harborview, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Optima Care Harborview, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Optima Care Harborview, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Optima Care Harborview, 6.37% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Optima Care Harborview, 89.73% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Optima Care Harborview, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Optima Care Harborview, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Optima Care Harborview, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Optima Care Harborview, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Optima Care Harborview, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Optima Care Harborview, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.45 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Hamilton Pk Dialysis Center0.87 miles away328 Ninth Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 516-7700
- Davita Jersey City Summit Dialysis1.14 miles away414 Summit Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07306Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 420-8431
- Davita Jersey City Akc No Bergen1.26 miles away1310 5th Street North Bergen New Jersey 07047CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (201) 770-9220
- Fmc Hoboken Dialysis Ctr1.42 miles away1600 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Dialysis Stations: 16 (201) 656-7500
- Pershing LLC1.69 miles away422 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Dialysis Stations: 4 (201) 332-6413
- Fmc Jersey City2.27 miles away107-123 Pacific Avenue Jersey City New Jersey 07304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (201) 451-3760
- Fmc Union Hill2.37 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.53 miles away510-526 Avenue of the Americas Sub Cellar New York New York 10011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (212) 675-6880