Alaris Health at Essex is a nursing home in Irvington, New Jersey. The city has a total of 53,942 people. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. In our view, this place is a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Alaris Health at Essex
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
155 Fortieth Street,
Irvington NJ 07111
59.62% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Radiation Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's best category grade came in the category of inspections. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. It outperformed most facilities in this category. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a positive score in our long-term care category. We gave this facility a better than average grade of B in that area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.49622 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Essex?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given its third best category score in the category of short-term care. We gave this facility a B- in this category, which is a reasonably acceptable score. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to gauge a nursing home's rehabilitation services To offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
The next category we rated was nursing. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. Our nursing grade is mostly associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below average. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Essex Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Essex, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Essex, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Essex, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Essex, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Essex, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Essex, 6.37% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Essex, 89.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Essex, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Essex, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Alaris Health at Essex, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Essex, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Essex, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Essex, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Alaris Health at Essex0.03 miles away155-40th Street Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 371-2155
- Fmc Irvington0.15 miles away10 Camptown Road Irvington New Jersey 07111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (973) 399-1111
- Davita Irvington Dialysis1.27 miles away468 Chancellor Avenue Suite Ws-3 Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 373-0294
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center1.66 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Davita Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.27 miles away1529 North Broad Street Hillside New Jersey 07205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 474-1199
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.56 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Davita Millburn Dialysis2.92 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Davita Parkside Dc3 miles away580 Frelinghuysen Avenue Newark New Jersey 07114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-2226