Alaris Health at Castle Hill is a senior living facility located in Union City, New Jersey. This city has 66,515 people. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is clearly a very impressive nursing home. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the United States. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alaris Health at Castle Hill
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Union City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall score, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that category. Our short-term care grade is often employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Nursing grades are mostly based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Castle Hill?
This nursing home also performed well in the category of inspections. It earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with a grade of B+. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor dings are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+ for our long-term care rating. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.327354 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Castle Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 7.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 2.24% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 1.61% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 3.08% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 17.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 0.24% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 99.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 4.61% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 5.57% of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 5.57% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 10.42% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Castle Hill, 80.71% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Mount Sinai WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away1000 Tenth Avenue New York New York 10019Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 523-4000
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Fmc Union Hill0.38 miles away508 31st Street Union City New Jersey 07087CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 902-9382
- Fmc Hoboken Dialysis Ctr0.83 miles away1600 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Dialysis Stations: 16 (201) 656-7500
- Davita Jersey City Akc No Bergen0.95 miles away1310 5th Street North Bergen New Jersey 07047CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (201) 770-9220
- Rogosin West Side2.1 miles away619 West 54th Street New York New York 10019CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (646) 317-0402
- Fkc Secaucus2.47 miles away200 Meadowslands Parkway Suite 200a Secaucus New Jersey 07094Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 583-6650
- Davita Dialysis at Palisades Medical Center2.72 miles away7650 River Road Suite 150 North Bergen New Jersey 07047Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 861-1031
- Hamilton Pk Dialysis Center2.8 miles away328 Ninth Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 516-7700
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.2.88 miles away510-526 Avenue of the Americas Sub Cellar New York New York 10011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (212) 675-6880