Alaris Health at Belgrove is a senior living facility located in Kearny, New Jersey. This city has a total of 40,684 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable grade. Based on our ratings, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of most people. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alaris Health at Belgrove
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Kearny senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Kearny, New Jersey Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Kearny, New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality facility is that it received a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections is its best category. In this area, we gave this facility an A+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being its second best category grade. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Alaris Health at Belgrove?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. Nursing scores are mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below the national average. Finally, while this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We gave this facility a C in this category. Our long-term care grade is commonly used to score a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 93.567245 percent of its patients. This is a few points less than we expected but still a decent figure. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alaris Health at Belgrove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that suffer from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term residents that have sustained UTI's. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 6.37% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 89.73% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alaris Health at Belgrove, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Carepoint Health-Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away176 Palisade Ave Jersey City New Jersey 07306Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 795-8200
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away308 Willow Ave Hoboken New Jersey 07030Voluntary non-profit - Church(201) 418-1000
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Fmc Harrison Dc1.17 miles away620 Essex Street Harrison New Jersey 07029CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 482-7772
- Fmc North Newark1.31 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fkc Belleville2.03 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Davita Renal Center of Newark2.18 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange2.26 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Fmc East Orange Dc2.47 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Newark Univ Dc (Miele)2.54 miles away91-101 Hartford Street Newark New Jersey 07103Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 624-7100
- Fmc Ironbound2.7 miles away248 South Street Newark New Jersey 07114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 344-0655