Alamo Nursing Home is an average-sized facility located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Kalamazoo. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Alamo Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility received even higher grades in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it one of our best scores in that category with an A. There are a number of datapoints within this area. Most of these criteria are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of strengths, it also received a very favorable short-term care score. We gave them an impressive strong of A- in this area. Our short-term care grades are arguably more important for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Alamo Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this facility also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Lastly, we looked at this facility's inspection grade This did not end up being one of this nursing home's stronger grades. We gave it a score of C in this area. This isn't a horrible grade in this category. It simply wasn't as strong as some of this facility's other category grades. We believe that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates this facility dodged the more significant categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alamo Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alamo Nursing Home, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alamo Nursing Home, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alamo Nursing Home, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alamo Nursing Home, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alamo Nursing Home, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alamo Nursing Home, 3.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alamo Nursing Home, 91.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alamo Nursing Home, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alamo Nursing Home, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Alamo Nursing Home, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alamo Nursing Home, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alamo Nursing Home, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Kalamazoo, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kalamazoo, Michigan has 6 other nursing homes
- Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 9.56 miles away1312 Oakland Dr Kalamazoo Michigan 49008Government - State(269) 337-3309
- Ascension Borgess HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away1521 Gull Road Kalamazoo Michigan 49048Voluntary non-profit - Other(269) 226-7000
- Bronson Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away601 John Street Kalamazoo Michigan 49007Voluntary non-profit - Private(269) 341-6000
- Allegan General HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 11.58 miles away555 Linn Street Allegan Michigan 49010Voluntary non-profit - Other(269) 686-4101
- Bronson Lakeview HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.02 miles away408 Hazen Street Paw Paw Michigan 49079Voluntary non-profit - Private(269) 657-1400
- Fmc - Oshtemo6.88 miles away6739 Seeco Dr Kalamazoo Michigan 49009CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (269) 375-5815
- Fmc - Kalamazoo9.58 miles away521 E Michigan Ave Kalamazoo Michigan 49007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (269) 384-6180
- Fmc - Kalamazoo Pd Unit9.59 miles away527 E Michigan Ave Kalamazoo Michigan 49007Dialysis Stations: 2 (269) 384-6191
- Davita - Kalamazoo Central9.73 miles away535 S Burdick St Ste 110 Kalamazoo Michigan 49007Dialysis Stations: 10 (269) 343-0251
- Fmc - Gull Road10.47 miles away5010 Gull Rd Suite 6 Kalamazoo Michigan 49048Dialysis Stations: 12 (269) 382-3012
- Fmc - Allegan12.02 miles away730 Airway Dr Allegan Michigan 49010Dialysis Stations: 12 (269) 673-1700
- Fmc - Kalamazoo East13.03 miles away2901 E Kilgore Rd Kalamazoo Michigan 49001CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (269) 345-1660
- Fms Kalamazoo, LLC18.06 miles away12180 N Us Highway 131 Schoolcraft Michigan 49087Dialysis Stations: 4 (269) 679-3588