Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation is a senior living facility in Los Alamitos, California. The city has a total of 21,751 people. With an B+ overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This facility truly has plenty going for it. This nursing home also received strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
3902 Katella Avenue,
Los Alamitos CA 90720
64.27% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our long-term care grade. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. Even though we determined this facility had an above average quantity of nursing hours provided by nurses aids and other nursing staff, we found its vaccine statistics to be somewhat slightly lower than we anticipated. This nursing home gave the pneumonia vaccine to just 85.399445 percent of its residents. This is one figure we would like to see this facility improve on. The last datapoint we assessed is the facility's hospitalization rate. Although it had 2.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was close to the national average since it had some more complex patients.
In addition, this facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on its inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that category. Our inspection scores are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's inspection reports. Places that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes performed more favorably in this area. With our short-term care grade, we attempt to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. This place performed as well as just about any nursing home in California in this area with 65.8 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, at most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
The last area we analyzed is nursing, where we awarded it an above average grade of B. This facility really did not have any weak spots. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we consider the amount of time nurses are seeing patients as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This place provided 3.9 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an impressive statistic which typically corresponds with higher quality care. Lastly, this nursing home was also above average in each of the major quality-based metrics we looked at in this category. For example, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 4.32% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 96.21% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Los Alamitos Hemodialysis Center0.14 miles away3810 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (562) 598-9527
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis0.24 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175
- Davita-South Cerritos Dialysis2.04 miles away12191 226th Street Hawaiian Gardens California 90716Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 421-6890
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis3.74 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis3.92 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis4.12 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis4.71 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster4.9 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698