Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation is a large nursing home located in Los Alamitos, California. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is among the more impressive nursing homes we looked at. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its long-term care rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Los Alamitos senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall score, we awarded this facility a grade of A- for our long-term care rating. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 78.77238 percent of its residents. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was short-term care. We gave this nursing home one of our more favorable grades in this category, with a grade of B. While this was not as favorable as some of its other scores, it is nevertheless a positive grade. Short-term care ratings are crucial for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a UTI. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alamitos West Health & Rehabilitation, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Los Alamitos Hemodialysis Center0.14 miles away3810 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (562) 598-9527
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis0.24 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175
- Davita-South Cerritos Dialysis2.04 miles away12191 226th Street Hawaiian Gardens California 90716Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 421-6890
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis3.74 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis3.92 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis4.12 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis4.71 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster4.9 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698