Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center is a nursing home in Alameda, California, which has a total of 73,812 people. With an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility is not a fit for any prospective resident. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
430 Willow Street,
Alameda CA 94501
66.38% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates this facility avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care grade. This is not an impressive grade. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.74619 percent of its patients, which is better than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is short-term care, where this facility was given a very poor grade here also. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With its grade in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.6 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Alameda, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alameda, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.51 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland2 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.1 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Peralta4.11 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.44 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai E. 14th5.3 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Piedmont5.48 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft5.56 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.65 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011