Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center is a nursing home in Alameda, California, which has a total of 73,812 people. With an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility is not a fit for any prospective resident. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing grade is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This place provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in this area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Not surprisingly, we learned that this nursing home offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was long-term care, in which this facility received a bottom of the barrel grade here as well. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. For residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.76744 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Alameda, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alameda, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.51 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland2 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.1 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Peralta4.11 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.44 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai E. 14th5.3 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Piedmont5.48 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft5.56 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.65 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011