Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center is a nursing home in Alameda, California, which has a total of 73,812 people. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Alameda. The city has just one other nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Alameda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this place's overall score, it did receive a respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent score in this category with a B-. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. The nursing score analyzes several subcategories, but the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a decent grade in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.242424 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was short-term care, where this nursing home received a poor grade here also. It received an F for this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alameda Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.51 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland2 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.1 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Peralta4.11 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.44 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai E. 14th5.3 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Piedmont5.48 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft5.56 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.65 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011