Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness is a nursing home in San Leandro, California. This city has 104,689 people. With an overall grade of D, this is a well below average facility. In addition, this is a hospital-based nursing home, which may add peace of mind for prospective residents with significant health conditions. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in San Leandro, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade is not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable score in the category of inspections. We awarded it a grade of B- for that area, which is not bad. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Nursing grades are mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third most favorable category turned out to be its short-term care score, where it was given a B-. In our short-term care category, we strive to craft a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this facility received a decent long-term care score of B-. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinates 98.177086 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care residents who experienced falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents which sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fairmont Rehabilitation and Wellness, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.29 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.86 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- San Leandro Dialysis0.43 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis0.51 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro2.59 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro2.62 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center2.64 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Rai E. 14th3.07 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Bancroft3.26 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Hayward Dialysis Center3.28 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094