With an address in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare is one of just a couple available nursing homes in the city. With an overall rating of B-, this is a middle of the road facility. Based on our assessment, this facility likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless government inspection reports in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite minor. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B. There are a host of datapoints included in this grade. Many of these datapoints relate to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a middle of the pack score in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. Our short-term care scores are probably more meaningful for individuals needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was long-term care, which is the final area we looked at. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 91.85083 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 5.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 91.97% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alameda Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 0.64 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.08 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr0.41 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836
- Davita Woodbridge Dialysis Center2.77 miles away541 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 750-0639
- Ara Garden State Kidney Center2.87 miles away345 Main Street Woodbridge New Jersey 07095Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 855-2100
- Dva Old Bridge Dialysis Ctr4.46 miles awayDavita Kidney Care 262 Texas Rd Old Bridge New Jersey 08857CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 591-4931
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis5.14 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr5.39 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.5.54 miles away30 Sneden Ave Staten Island New York 10312Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 356-2678
- Dva Edison5.82 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883