Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster is a facility in Alabaster, Alabama, a city with 26,225 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of C, which is a solid rating. This nursing home seems to have a few things going for it. This place was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's overall grade was propped up by the fact that it has received favorable health inspections in recent years. We awarded them a strong score in that category, with a grade of B. This is a notably better grade than the nursing home's overall score. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. The nursing rating includes several factors, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area is long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. Our long-term care ratings are more meaningful for residents needing more conventional assistance related to personal care. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this nursing home vaccinated just 79.01701 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility was awarded an acceptable short-term care score of B-. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical facility. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents which had falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 92.58% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.71 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.75 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 17.26 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.48 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Fmc Shelby0.59 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.36 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fmc Hoover9.99 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC10.97 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fmc Montevallo11.53 miles away3883 Highway 25 Montevallo Alabama 35115Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 665-4440
- Bessemer Kidney Center12.51 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis12.69 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Dialysis12.74 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848