Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster is a facility in Alabaster, Alabama, a city with 26,225 people. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the country. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Alabaster senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of accomplishments, it also received a superb long-term care grade. We awarded them a dominant grade of A in this area. Facilities that do well in this category tend to provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.80119 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. There are several criteria within this area. Most of the criteria are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a decent score in that category, with a grade of C. While this wasn't as favorable as a few of its other scores, it is still not a poor grade. In computing these short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, we were not able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.24% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 91.17% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 10.28 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.71 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.75 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 17.26 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.48 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Fmc Shelby0.59 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.36 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fmc Hoover9.99 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC10.97 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fmc Montevallo11.53 miles away3883 Highway 25 Montevallo Alabama 35115Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 665-4440
- Bessemer Kidney Center12.51 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis12.69 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Dialysis12.74 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848