Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster is a large facility in Alabaster, Alabama. This facility was given a bottom of the barrel overall grade based on the data we looked at. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Alabaster. The city has just one other nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
850 9th Street, Northwest,
Alabaster AL 35007
67.52% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This place was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Long-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for its long-term care grade, which really isn't too bad of a score. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this facility administered the vaccine to only 61.068703 percent of its patients, which is somewhat concerning. Nevertheless, this facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 1.43 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't perform too badly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a C in that category, which is another one of its more favorable grades. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. It performed more favorably in this metric. We found it was above average in this area with 51.7 percent of its patients returning home.
This facility's worst area is nursing, which is the last category we assessed. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Our nursing score is based on a handful of factors, most of which are tied to nursing hours. With a meager 3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. In addition to ranking below average in nursing hours per resident, this place also had poor marks in the quality-based metrics we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and major falls. This nursing home was at roughly 1.5 times the national average in both of these statistics. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that many bed sores and falls are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. These metrics pulled down this nursing home's nursing rating significantly.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 9.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 3.27% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that sustained UTI's. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 19.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 23.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 91.71% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 13.51% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 18.39% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 18.39 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 11.47 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ahava Healthcare of Alabaster, 72.41% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.71 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.75 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 17.26 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 17.27 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.48 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Fmc Shelby0.59 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.36 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fmc Hoover9.99 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC10.97 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fmc Montevallo11.53 miles away3883 Highway 25 Montevallo Alabama 35115Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 665-4440
- Bessemer Kidney Center12.51 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis12.69 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Dialysis12.74 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848