Agawam Healthcare is a large nursing home located in Agawam, Massachusetts. This nursing home is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Agawam. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2021 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Agawam Healthcare has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Agawam senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
This facility's best category score came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B. It outpaced most nursing homes in this category. Nursing scores are primarily associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a resident more frequently.
We would also like to point out this facility's strong inspection grade. This facility earned a B in this category, which is one of our better grades. Inspection scores are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Agawam Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive short-term care grade. As a matter of fact, we awarded it a B in that category, which is one of our better. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is generally a fair assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is a decent grade in this area. Long-term care grades are important for individuals seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 97.391304 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable datapoint. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Agawam Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Agawam Healthcare, 6.55% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Agawam Healthcare, 6.52% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have experienced a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Agawam Healthcare, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Agawam Healthcare, 16.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Agawam Healthcare, 14.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Agawam Healthcare, 0.95% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Agawam Healthcare, 97.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Agawam Healthcare, 22.75% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Agawam Healthcare, 38.42% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Agawam Healthcare, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Agawam Healthcare, 38.42% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Agawam Healthcare, 12.14% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Agawam Healthcare, 66.09% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 17.21 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.43 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.48 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC2.48 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.31 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.42 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.49 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Palomba Drive Dialysis4.93 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center6.55 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)6.98 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Chicopee Dialysis Center7.38 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529