Agawam Healthcare is a large nursing home located in Agawam, Massachusetts. This nursing home is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. You could definitely do worse than this place. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2021 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned a very favorable nursing grade. Its nursing rating ended up being its best category. In that area, we gave this facility a B. We analyzed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in determining our score in this category. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility a grade of B in our short-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. Our short-term care grade is often employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Agawam Healthcare?
This nursing home's inspection grade also was quite a bit better than its overall grade. Due to a strong inspection report this year, it received one of our better scores in that category with a B. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. For that category, we gave this facility a C. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 97.391304 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Agawam Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Agawam Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Agawam Healthcare, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which experienced a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Agawam Healthcare, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Agawam Healthcare, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Agawam Healthcare, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Agawam Healthcare, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Agawam Healthcare, 91.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Agawam Healthcare, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Agawam Healthcare, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Agawam Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Agawam Healthcare, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Agawam Healthcare, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Agawam Healthcare, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Agawam, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Agawam, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.63 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 17.21 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.43 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.48 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC2.48 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.31 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.42 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.49 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Palomba Drive Dialysis4.93 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center6.55 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)6.98 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Chicopee Dialysis Center7.38 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529