Afv Ii Health Care Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. Sporting an overall rating of A, this facility is among the highest-rated nursing homes we assessed. San Antonio features a variety of nursing homes, however, it is unlikely you will need to check out too many others. This one is a high quality option. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do any better than a straight A profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Afv Ii Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Afv Ii Health Care Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on San Antonio senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in San Antonio, Texas Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on its recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for this area. Inspection ratings are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Very few nursing homes fared better in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Afv Ii Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, this facility was given a top-shelf short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a score of A- in this category. Our short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
In the last category, this facility also was given an excellent nursing grade, with an A-. This finished off a very favorable profile. In computing our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Afv Ii Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 0% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 4.62% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 17.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 16.07% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 18.32% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 18.32% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 4.35% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Afv Ii Health Care Center, 75.42% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.9 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 14.72 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.1 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Us Renal Care Gateway Dialysis5.4 miles away230 Knollwood Dr San Antonio Texas 78227CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 673-9200
- Sng-Columbia Square Dialysis Center, Lp5.41 miles away1711 Columbia Square San Antonio Texas 78227Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 455-8836
- Usrc Westover Hills Dialysis, LLC6.16 miles away11212 State Hwy 151 Medical Plaza Ii Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78251CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 521-5923
- Westover Dialysis6.33 miles away9846 Westover Hills Blvd #101 San Antonio Texas 78251CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (210) 681-9180
- Usrc Hill Country, LLC6.92 miles away12011 State Highway 151 Ste 101 San Antonio Texas 78251Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 248-1110
- Fresenius Medical Care San Antonio, LLC7.11 miles away5620 Lone Star Parkway San Antonio Texas 78253Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 688-0377
- Fresenius Medical Care Westover Hills7.76 miles away9010 Culebra Rd San Antonio Texas 78251CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (210) 520-4303
- Davita Roadrunner Dialysis8.06 miles away5010 Wiseman Blvd San Antonio Texas 78251Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 520-0341