Located in Oakdale, New York, Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center is the only option we identified there. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some decent marks. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of C. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most important for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third most favorable category turned out to be long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.98256 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to the last category, this nursing home didn't perform well. With a poor grade of F in nursing, this was this nursing home's worst category. The nursing grade includes many data points. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care patients who had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 91.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.92 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.58 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.27 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.4.21 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Long Island Community Hospital5.15 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center7.01 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Davita Medford Kidney Center7.39 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Long Island Community Hospital7.46 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Coram Dialysis Center8.22 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Long Island Bay Shore Dialysis Center8.98 miles away929 Sunrise Highway Chronic Dialysis Ctr. Bay Shore New York 11706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (631) 224-8500
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr10.34 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707